Establishing good web presence is vital to the success of any business. And part of that presence includes having reliable, easy to use website hosting.
In today’s tutorial I’m going to show you how to set up your own hosting account using my preferred provider HostGator.
I like them because what they offer plans that are flexible and affordable which is perfect for budding online entrepreneurs!
Some of their features include unlimited bandwidth, unlimited domains on a single account (with most plans) and reliable servers.
If you are thinking of setting up account then here are some things you’ll need:
- Determine what type of hosting you need
– Know what features you need (or want)
– Have a domain picked out and/or purchased (if you don’t have one I recommend using GoDaddy)
– Access to a credit card or a PayPal account to pay for your order
Step # 1: Decide Which Type Of Hosting You Need
HostGator offers 4 types of hosting, including:
Shared Web Hosting
This is the type of hosting most people purchase. It gives you everything you need to get your online presence set up and going.
If you want to sell hosting services through your own hosting company, this is the option you would choose. It’s also a good choice if you need more than one SSL certificate and cPanel.
VPS allows for more flexibility in software, installations and configurations. It is a good choice if you have resource-intensive needs such as streaming large media files, sending large amounts of email and so forth.
This type of hosting is typically used by big businesses. Not only can you sell hosting, but you also have the ability to customize their server settings and environment.
Like VPS, it’s also a good option if you have a high-traffic site, large customer database, large amounts of streaming media and so forth.
Your choice should be based on your current and near future needs. You can always upgrade and downgrade if your needs change.
For this demonstration, we’ve selected the Shared Web Hosting because it’s the type most individuals and small businesses use.
Step # 2: Choose A Hosting Plan
Once you know which type of hosting you need, it’s time to pick your plan.
HostGator offers three levels for the Shared Web Hosting that we’ve chosen to use. Which ever plan you decide to go with, I’ve made arrangements for you to get your first month FREE!
Click here to compare the plans they offer in greater detail and when ordering be sure to enter the following code: yourfirstmonthfree.
Hatchling is the smallest plan HostGator offers.
It allows you to host one domain with unlimited disk space and bandwidth.
Depending on how often you want to pay, you can get this plan for under $4 per month.
The baby plan includes everything the hatchling plan has but there are no limits to how many domains you can have.
Prices start at just over $6 per month.
Selecting the business plan gives you everything in the baby plan plus a free toll-free number, free dedicated IP and free private SSL. You can also choose to use anonymous FTPs.
This plan starts at just over $10 per month.
You can find a full comparison chart and purchase a plan today by clicking here.
Reminder: I’ve arranged for HostGator to give your your first month of service for FREE so be sure to enter the code: yourfirstmonthfree.
Step # 3: Start The Order Process
Now that you know what type of hosting you need and which plan will work best for you, it’s time to place your order.
On the page above, you’ll see three plan options. We’ve chosen the hatchling plan for this demonstration.
Select the one you wish to purchase then click on “Order Now”.
Step # 4: Enter Your Domain
Enter the name of the domain that you’ll be using with this account.
At this point you have a few options:
– If you need to register the domain first, enter it into the first box.
– If you don’t have you can get one from Godaddy for $7.49 by clicking here.
– If you already own the domain, enter it into the second box.
Once you’ve done that then don’t forget to enter your coupon code: yourfirstmonthfree to get your first month of hosting from HostGator for FREE!
Then click “Continue To Step 2″.
Step # 5: Enter Your Billing Information
– Double check to confirm that the right plan has been selected.
– Using the drop-down, select how often you want to pay
– Choose a username and security pin for your account.
– Then make a note of it because it will be your login information.
- Enter your billing information.
- Select Credit Card or PayPal.
- If using a credit card, enter the card details.
- Review the details of your order.
- Select the box to say you have read and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Click “Create Account” and you will be redirected to confirm your order.
Step # 6: Upgrade Your Account
As your business grows, you may find that your existing hosting plan is no longer appropriate for you. With HostGator, it’s simple to upgrade to a better plan at any time.
Before you make the switch, there are a few things you should know.
- When upgrading from a small Shared plan to a larger Shared plan, nothing major will change.
- To upgrade from a Shared plan to a Reseller plan, the HostGator team will move your account with your add-on domains intact. However, the add-on domains will NOT have individual cPanel accounts unless you pay extra to have them separated.
- To upgrade VPS and/or Dedicated Servers, it’s best to contact support to see what changes will be made and how it will affect your business during the transition.
- DO NOT cancel your old hosting account(s) until you have changed DNS and thoroughly inspected your site to ensure everything was transferred properly.
To upgrade, you’ll need to fill in the upgrade form and submit it to the support staff. You can find that form by clicking here.
– Just fill in your email address, domain name and cpanel/ftp information.
– Using the drop down, select your current plan and the plan you want to upgrade to.
– Then click “Submit“.
I hope you’ve found this tutorial informative and that it is something you can use in your online business.
If you are already using them, or plan to use them for your business then I’d love to get your feedback on your experience in the comments section below.
If you have any additional questions about starting your business or need assistance with expanding or marketing your business, please feel free leave me a comment or post it on my Facebook Page and I’ll try to assist you in any way I can!
Have an awesome day!